"svn --version" halts in 1.7.2-2

Peter Rosin peda@lysator.liu.se
Sun Mar 28 17:37:00 GMT 2010

Den 2010-03-27 17:08 skrev Charles Wilson:
> On 3/27/2010 11:23 AM, David Rothenberger wrote:
>> On 3/27/2010 7:47 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>> Obviously, something is going wrong there.  What happens when the .la
>>> file isn't found, is that libltdl falls back on cygwin's dlopen(), which
>>> simply looks in the normal search path for the DLL -- and that
>>> apparently works.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it's libsasl2 that's the culprit, but since its DLLs are
>> in /usr/lib/sasl2, which is not in the PATH, I don't see how that could
>> work.
>
> Ah, but cygwin's dlopen() is sensitive to LD_LIBRARY_PATH -- and you can
> also give dlopen() the full path to where you expect the DLL to be.
> Obviously libsasl2 "knows" about /usr/lib/sasl2/, because that's where
> it's currently looking for the .la files.  So, I wouldn't be surprised
> if, in the absense of .la files messing up the
> libsasl2->libltdl->.la->.dll lookup, the libsasl2->libltdl->.dll works fine.
>
> Hey...I have an idea.  NORMALLY, the .la file says:
> 	dlname='../bin/cygfoo-N.dll'
> This tells libltdl how to find the DLL, which is not normally installed
> in the /usr/lib heirarchy on cygwin.  However, in this case, the sasl2
> dlls ARE in /usr/lib/sasl2.
>
> So, the .la files OUGHT to say
> 	dlname="cyg*.dll"
> with no ../bin component.  Plus, ../bin wouldn't be correct in this case
> either, as /usr/lib/sasl2/../bin == /usr/lib/bin, which isn't right.
> (FWIW, this bug was fixed only very recently in libtool).
>
> So, I wonder if editing the .la files to specify the correct relative
> path to the DLLs would fix it?

It could be that /usr/lib/sasl2/libsasldb.la lists /usr/lib/libdb-4.2.la
as a dependency_libs. libdb-4.2.la may or may not be installed (it's in
libdb4.2-devel which I don't have installed) and if it's missing libltdl
might be "confused".

If that's indeed the case, is it easy to add the needed dependency to
the libsasl2-devel package?

But I'm out on a limb here...

Cheers,
Peter

--
They are in the crowd with the answer before the question.