Updated [experimental]: coreutils-8.4-1

Thu Mar 18 21:16:00 GMT 2010

On Mar 18 14:23, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 10:18 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> > For those people testing cygwin snapshots, a new release of coreutils,
> > 8.4-1, has been uploaded.  7.0-2 remains current, because the 8.4-1
> > release depends on features available only in recent snapshots (that is,
> > don't upgraded if you are still using the current cygwin 1.7.1).
>
> Is no one else testing this?  I'm thinking I introduced a bug, because
> 'mv a b' creates 'b.exe', even if 'a' did not have an implicit .exe, and
> am looking into building 8.4-2 to fix it.

Sorry,  Eric.  I didn't test it so far but now I installed it and
it looks like I have a few problems.

1)

  While rename(2) allows to drop the .exe suffix, mv(1) doesn't anymore:

  $ mv a.exe a
  mv: a.exe and a are the same files

  Expected result:

  $ mv a.exe a
  $ ls a*

2) Even renaming doesn't drop the suffix:

  $ mv a.exe b
  $ ls b*
  b.exe

  Expected result:

  $ mv a.exe b
  $ ls b*

3) And, as you noticed yourself, mv adds the suffix even if it wasn't
   given in the original filename:

  $ ls a*
  $ mv a b
  $ ls b*
  b.exe

  Expected result:

  $ mv a b
  $ ls b*

In theory, the only case which should append a suffix is this one:

  $ ls a*
  a.exe
  $ mv a b
  $ ls b*
  b.exe

All of the above problems also affect cp (and probably install).

Corinna

Red Hat