cron fails to run as a service

Pierre A. Humblet Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org
Tue Mar 2 17:41:00 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul McFerrin" <
To: "Pierre A. Humblet" <Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 12:03

| Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
| >
| > Some of your problems are due to launching a new cron daemon while an
| > old one is still running.
|
| What "old" cron.  This is the firts setup.

In the log snippet below the old cron is pid 368. You are trying to launch
a new cron with pid 2508.

| As to your SIGHUP question,
| my experience is limited to such items as httpd for web server.  They
| let SIGHUP to kill it off. During shutdown, I send SIGHUP to all process
| group leaders.follwed by signal 9 about 15 seconds later.  If they
| survive SIGHUP, signal 9 will do them in.

Re. SIGHUP, the cron man page says "On receipt of a SIGHUP, the
cron daemon will close and reopen  its  log file."

However cron will terminate cleanly on SIGTERM and SIGINT.
If you run cron under cygrunsrv, see cygrunsrv --help to see what can be
done in case of shutdown. (--shutsig and --XXXshutdown)

| > If you experiment with cron, you can view the cron log by using
| > "cronevents"
| >
| > 2010/03/01 01:38:45 [Paul] /usr/sbin/cron: PID 368: (CRON) STARTUP (V5.0)
| > 2010/03/01 01:47:26 [Paul] /usr/sbin/cron: PID 2508: (CRON) DEATH
| > (can't lock /var/run/cron.pid, otherpid may be 368: Resource
| > temporarily unavailable)

Pierre