cygwin 1.5 installed using legacy-setup.exe not working

Fri Jun 4 13:20:00 GMT 2010

On 6/4/2010 7:57 AM, prakash babu wrote:
> Since Cygwin 1.7 does not support MS-DOS style paths for chmod , I installed
> cygwin 1.5 using legacy-setup.exe

The flaw in this logic is the assumption that Cygwin 1.5 supports MS-DOS
style paths 'for chmod'.  It may handle things a little differently but the
truth is that Cygwin has always only fully supported POSIX-style paths.
So while MS-DOS style paths may work reasonably well in many situations,
it doesn't mean that they are without limitations.

> The installation went fine but the C:\\cygwin\\bin has only two binaryies
> ash.exe and cygrunsrv.exe. Also the Cygwin.bat exits immediately after
> invoking
>
> Is there any document available for installing cygwin 1.5 and setting up ssh
> in it.

The install procedure is no different really than for 1.7.  This could be
the result of BLODA or a rogue cygwin1.dll or it's perhaps even the result
of you installing 1.5 after installing 1.7 (depending on the installer you
used to do this, whether you were replacing 1.7 or trying to set both up
side by side, etc.)  It's not clear from the information you've given so
far.  Of course, all that said, 1.5 is no longer supported so if it doesn't
work well for you, you're really venturing into no-mans-land. [cue ominous
music]

Holliston, MA 01746