Window shortcut to launch a Mintty login bash on a given directory

JOHNER Jean 066030 Jean.JOHNER@cea.fr
Sat Jul 31 15:00:00 GMT 2010

On 29 July 2010 08:49, Andy Koppe wrote:

>> I also tried to add
>>
>> C:\cygwin\home\User_name\foobar
>>
>> in the "Start in" box of the windows shortcut. With no effect.

> That was the right idea. The reason it didn't work is that
> /etc/profile changes back to your home directory, unless the variable
> CHERE_INVOKING (used by the 'chere' package) is set.

> Hence you could get it to work by changing the shortcut target to
this:

> C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/env CHERE_INVOKING=1 /bin/bash --login

Thank you Andy,

The last problem is that the window title, for the "My documents/foobar"
directory becomes:
/cygdrive/d/Documents and settings/User_name/My documents/foobar
which iconifies to "/cygdrive/d/Docu...", the latter indication being
the same for all directories.

I tried:
C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -t foobar -e /bin/env CHERE_INVOKING=1
/bin/bash --login

to get the "foobar" window title, but at the end the complete above
title comes back again.

Best regards.

Jean Johner

PS: same problem when installing chere with
chere -ia -s bash -t mintty