Cygwin command line takes a long time to start

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Tue Jul 27 19:04:00 GMT 2010

On 07/27/2010 11:42 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 26 July 2010 00:26, David Antliff wrote:
>> Thanks everyone - using these tips I was able to determine that
>> bash_completion was actually running twice - once by
>> /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh, and again by my own .bash_profile,
>> which was modifying the path prior to invoking it so that apps in my
>> ~/bin were picked up. I don't actually have anything useful in there
>> any more so it's really just a bunch of old stuff I brought over from
>> my Linux config.
>>
>> I've tidied it up now. I now get the bash prompt after about 5
>> seconds, rather than 10. Disabling bash_completion completely gives me
>> a prompt in less than 1 second, but I do quite like bash_completion so
>> I'll live with that.
>
> FWIW, zsh with fancy completion enabled starts in one to two seconds
> for me. Not suggesting that switching shell is an easy fix though.

Furthermore, upstream bash-completion developers are working on speeding
things up, by doing lazy loading (rather than loading all
program-specific completion handlers into memory at startup, they
trivially assign a global loader completion handler to all programs,
which then reassigns and runs the real loader for a given program the
first time you do tab-completion on that program); but it may require
support from bash 4.1 (I really need to find more time to get my bash
4.1 port to cygwin completed and posted).