strace on a2ps complains about \Device\Harddisk4\DR4

Rasputin Paskudniak rpaskudniak@yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 05:51:00 GMT 2010

Problem Solved!

On 7/26/2010 8:19 PM, Rasputin Paskudniak wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I apologize for the length of this post but I need to forestall advice
> to try what has already failed. BTW, I have been posting this message to
> various forums without any useful results. I'll try this newly
> discovered newsgroup server.
>
> I have a new Windows-7 64-bit box and Cygwin (1.75) was my first
> download. At the installation stage, I included a2ps (4.13).
>
> My problem: When I run it, I just get back to my shell prompt. This is
> even when I run "a2ps -- version". Mystery?
>
> First step: What is the exit code? echo $? displays 127. (errno.h tells
> me this is related to sockets. Highly unlikely.) So I decided to run it
> with strace:
>
> $ strace -m all a2ps -- version
>
> Well, that produced two error boxes at the Windows level.
> The first had this title and message:
> [a2ps.exe - No Disk]
> There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk in drive
> \Device\Harddisk4\DR4
> [Cancel] [Retry] [Continue]
>
> No matter which button I click, I get another error box with this title
> and message:
>
> [a2ps.exe - Application Error]
> The application was unable to start correctly. (0xc0000013)
> Click OK to close the application
>
> Note that I got no terminal output from strace/a2ps itself - it never
> got around to executing any service calls.
>
> Searching the Cygwin User Guide, I found some information on page 59:
>
> /dev/sda \device\harddisk0\partition0 (whole disk)
> /dev/sda1 \device\harddisk0\partition1 (first partition)
> /dev/sda15 \device\harddisk0\partition15 (fifteenth partition)
> /dev/sdb \device\harddisk1\partition0
> /dev/sdb1 \device\harddisk1\partition1
> [up to]
> /dev/sddx \device\harddisk127\partition0
> /dev/sddx1 \device\harddisk127\partition1
>
> OK, by this convention, \device\harddisk4\partition4 would be:
> /dev/sde4. My scheme, suggested in the user guide, was to create a symlink:
> $ ln -s /cyndrive/c/scratch /dev/sde4.
>
> This has a few problems:
> - The error message was about \Device\Harddis4\DR4 - differences
> in case (possibly irrelevant)
> - Different device name (DR4 as opposed to partition4).
> - The "file" exists:
> $ file /dev/sde
> /dev/sde4: block special
> (That running ls -l against /dev shows only directories mqueue
> and shm - none of the device files - is a subject for another
> thread.)
>
> Trying to compile a2ps 4.14 myself gave me a compiler error after a
> loooong process. The basic error message was:
> In file included from path-concat.c:30:
> /usr/include/string.h:58: error: parse error before "void"
> This involves macros defined in _ansi.h:
> _PTR _EXFUN(mempcpy,(_PTR, const _PTR, size_t));
> (I'll stop this exploration for now - it's getting too hairy.)
>
> Other things I have tried:
> - Running the Cygwin/Bash window and a2ps in administrator mode.
> [...]

In another thread, DaveK suggested:

     Try installing libintl2

That worked GREAT!  Problem solved.

Q: How could I have discovered this if not for Dave's assistance?

--
|- In perpetual pursuit of undomesticated aquatic avians -|