Windows GUI programs (e.g. notepad) start but are invisible after ssh login

Thorsten Kampe thorsten@thorstenkampe.de
Thu Jul 1 08:16:00 GMT 2010

* Larry Hall (Cygwin) (Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:09:49 -0400)
> On 6/30/2010 4:53 PM, Koszalek Opalek wrote:
> > This is what I do:
> >
> > 1) Start sshd
> >         cygrunsrv -S sshd
> >
> > 2) Login over ssh
> >         ssh ko@localhost
> >
> > 3) Start a Windows application (notepad, calc, whatever).
> >
> > The application starts (it is listed in the Process
> > Explorer), however its windows are invisible.
> >
> > How do I change this behavior and display the application?
> > I (obviously) do not want to export the window to another
> > $DISPLAY in the X11 fashion. I just want the app to be
> > visible on the machine where sshd is running.
>
> The short answer?  You can't or at least you shouldn't.  The
> longer answer is MS doesn't want to allow this functionality
> and has disabled the ability to access a desktop from a
> service as of Vista.

Sorry, that's nonsense. The option is there in Vista, Windows 2008,
Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2.

> It's not clear why but given the fact that MS is removing support for
> this anyway, the best way to get a reliable way to do this is to lobby
> MS for some support. ;-)

Microsoft has not removed support for it (but may in future releases).
The only thing that has changed is the way the desktop interactive
application is displayed. This is all pretty well documented here:

"Users may choose to:
* Respond to the dialog box immediately by clicking a button to switch
to Session 0, interact with the task dialog box, and then return to
their session.
* Be reminded again in 5 minutes. They continue to be reminded until the
dialog box closes."

This is all pretty well documented here:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysinternals/session0changes.mspx

Thorsten