changing cygwin's console window title

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Jan 8 10:53:00 GMT 2010

Collin Monahan wrote:
> I noticed Lynx kept changing my window title. According to the source code it was a call to SetConsoleTitle, part of the Windows API. ...
> Then I created a version of the program to compile under GCC. ...
> These may not be appropriate to use with an xterm window.

Indeed. I'd recommend to use the escape sequence (as used by the other
responder in .bashrc) also from a program so it'll work in xterm and
mintty, too.
ESC]2;title^G
In cygwin console and mintty, you can use UTF-8 text (or whatever
charset your terminal runs in) in the title string of this control
sequence. With xterm, non-ASCII title handling is more tricky and
depends on proper configuration.

Thomas