setup*exe for legacy and current versions

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Wed Jan 6 16:27:00 GMT 2010

Confused.

At the moment the two setup executables http://cygwin.com/setup.exe and
http://cygwin.com/setup-legacy.exe are identical:

sha1sum *exe
fdc9379ed58231cddd25bb7b448426681a3dd3c3 *setup-legacy.exe
fdc9379ed58231cddd25bb7b448426681a3dd3c3 *setup.exe

Something wrong somewhere?

(On 31 Dec I installed 1.5 and 1.7 separately, independently, and
successfully, with setup-legacy.exe "knowing" that it had to use
setup-legacy.ini and setup.exe "knowing" that it had to use setup.ini. I
assumed that the executables were different, even though slightly
annoyingly they have the same version number 2.674. Has something
changed since then, or am I missing some magic trick whereby setup*exe
"knows" to behave differently, depending on the spelling of its own name?

Sorry for silly use of "knows" but I can't think of a different way of
phrasing this particular enquiry.)

Fergus