Problem with setup (maybe a feature request)

Rance Hall ranceh@gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:26:00 GMT 2010

I'm running cygwin 1.7.x and I've been pretty faithful with running
setup again when updates are announced.

I've noticed that setup remembers almost all the answers from the
previous run, so if you are just doing an update you should be able to
just "NEXT" through it.

The very last page of the setup includes options of creating
desktop/quicklaunch shortcuts.

Because I run mintty I chose not to have the basic cygwin shell prompt
on my desktop.  Setup seems unable to remember what my choice was each
time I run setup.

I think this is undesired behavior.  If you are running a desktop icon
the setup process shouldn't make a second one.

I couldn't find a place where this data might be stored so, my
conclusion was either its not stored at all, or I'm just plain wrong.

On the chance I'm right: I'd like to see the defaults change to "OFF"
unless its a "first" install and there is no sub structure (ie no
/etc, /var, /bin, .....)

On the chance I'm wrong and the data in question is stored, can setup
respect previous entries?