UPDATE on [1.7.1 hangs on 000-cygwin-post-install.sh]

Rosario D. Contarino rdcontarino@gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 11:56:00 GMT 2010

Hi all,

I've been moving on this issue, which still remains unresolved, and I
would like to share with you all few improvements I think could help on
better focus where the problem could be.

Still there is no way to let the "setup.exe" complete properly its run
and it always ends on the last part, while running the 000-postinstall
and on the log file a bash error "couldn't allocate" appears.

(all details on this can be found in my previous message, just as a
summary, I'm trying to install 1.7.1 on Windows XP Sp3).

Well, apart form checking all the possible devices or software which
could have eventually interfered without success, I simply ended the
setup.exe process which was still stuck at that point, by pressing the
cancel button.

The installation process ends before executing all the scripts contained
into the /etc/postinstall

I simply open a bash shell, I execute them manually in alphabetic order
and none of them ends with any error.

Still, the previous bash.exe process which hanged during the standard
setup with the above mentioned error, is still alive and I kill it with
the Windows Task Manager.

At this point a first question:

1) Is it enough to run the shell scripts included into /etc/postinstall
   to properly complete their package installation or there should be
   something else to do which is normally done by the setup.exe
   process?

Afterwards I was trying to execute again the "setup.exe" to add new
packages (vim).

Again the setup proces goes well till exactly the same point where he
tries to execute the vim.sh under /etc/postinstall and again it hangs
with the same bash error. I terminate the setup by clicking on cancel
button, I run manually the vim.sh and I kill the bash.exe process with
the Windows Task Manager.

Obviously, invocating bash.exe within the setup.exe process leads to its
failure in this specific environment.

Hope this will help to fix it.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

All the best
Dario