What does this bash line do?

Tim Visher tim.visher@gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 14:57:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com> wrote:
> According to Tim Visher on 2/26/2010 6:46 AM:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm working on my bashrc and I found [this
>> line](http://pastie.org/844068)
>
> Pasting 3 lines to pastebin was a waste; just inline them in your email:
>
> case $- in
>  *i*) [[ -f /etc/bash_completion ]] && . /etc/bash_completion ;;
> esac

Yeah. I hate GMail's text formatting so I was basically trying to
avoid that.  You're right, though.

>> My question then, is what exactly is this line doing?
>
> It is seeing if you have bash-completion installed, and if so, loading it,
> so that your tab-completion is more powerful.  The check for an i within
> $- is to make sure your shell is interactive, as it is a waste to start
> bash-completion in a non-interactive shell.

I had worked that much out.  My question was a little preemptive so I
apologize for clogging up the inboxes.  I was actually just being lazy
and not looking up bash case statements and syntax.

Thanks for your help!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.