Python 2.6 ?

Fri Feb 12 19:49:00 GMT 2010

On 12/02/2010 13:11, Jason Tishler wrote:
> I've started to make some progress in releasing Python 2.5 and 2.6 for
> Cygwin 1.7.  I've decided to switch to cygport, so I was hoping you
> could review my work and answer another question.  Note I used your
> python-2.5.4-10.cygport from cygwin-ports SVN as my starting point.

Sure.

> 1. I removed your 2.5.2-tkinter-x11.patch and added a 2.5.5-tkinter.patch,
> so _tkinter builds and runs against the Win32 tcltk instead of the X11
> version.  FWIW, this is consistent with the _tkinter module that has
> been in the standard Cygwin distribution for years.
>
 > 3. I changed "requires" in tkinter.hint as per #1 above.

Ports' Tcl/Tk is X11, where the distro's is Win32-based, so the distro
version must still use the latter.  Note that there have been
discussions about switching the distro's Tcl/Tk to X11 as well, so
whenever that does happen you'll need that patch.

> 2. I added 2.5.5-curses.patch and CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/ncurses, so
> the _curses and _curses_panel modules will build cleanly against the
> latest ncurses.

Right, my last package was built for libncurses9.

> Are you OK with these changes?

Looks fine.  One more thing: don't use 2.5.2-ossaudio.patch.  Cygwin is
missing /dev/mixer so the module doesn't really work.

> I would like to release 2.5.5 first and then 2.6.4.  Unfortunately,
> there is no HTML documentation specifically for 2.5.5, so I guess I
> should use the documentation from 2.5.4.  Do you know of any clever ways
> to mix 2.5.5 source and 2.5.4 documentation without having to hardcode
> versions in the cygport file?

No, in this case you'll have to hardcode the documentation version.  I
just committed a 2.5.5 .cygport which shows you how this can be done.

Yaakov