emacs stalls using 100% CPU

Stacey Campbell staceycampbell@yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 17:39:00 GMT 2010

On Tue, February 9, 2010 "Rockefeller, Harry" <Harry.Rockefeller@flightsafety.com> wrote:
> Intermittent problem.  It's happening more often again.
> NEW info, when top is run the memory columns (VIRT RES and SHR) data toggles
> Back and forth for COMMAND "emacs-X11" and "XWin".  See attached top log.
> The situation is recoverable with kill -9 of emacs-X11 process.

I have a couple of large Cygwin-X11 compiled X clients that sometimes start thrashing
the CPU when they should otherwise be blocked in a select()/poll() system call waiting
for socket or file I/O.  I haven't figured out any straightforward way to reproduce this
problem.  Maybe not coincidentally I see there are one or more outstanding poll()/select()
issues reported to this list recently...

Stacey