du returns inconsistent results

Paul Shabash pshabash@altair.com
Thu Feb 11 07:44:00 GMT 2010

Hello,

When I run "du -b dir" several times with the same directory as input, sometimes I get a smaller size the first time I run it than the subsequent times I run it.  I.e. the second, third, fourth, etc. try will all return identical sizes, but the first is smaller.
The difference in size is always a multiple of 4096.
Doesn't happen if the input is a file.  Only if it's a directory.  The more subdirectories it has, the larger the difference.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

The error appears using either cygwin 1.7.1-1 or 1.5, on both Windows Vista & on Windows 7.
It does NOT happen on Windows XP with cygwin 1.5, though.

(Yes, I know there was a question on this list with a similar subject, but the question was different.)

Thank you.
Paul