[bulk] - Re: Bash completion and symlinks problem

Tue Feb 2 10:11:00 GMT 2010

On Feb  2 10:18, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM, DEWI - N. Zacharias <> wrote:
> >
> (snip)
> > ls yields
> >
> > $ ls -al dosomething.pl
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 n-zacharias Kein 94 2010-02-01 16:42 dosomething.pl
> >
> > Even if I use chmod 777 dosomething.pl  there is no change in -rw-r--r--
> >
> > Which seems to be no problem because it executes anyway.
> (snip)
> > Only the completion did not work or better the completion for execution.
>
> Files without execute permission will not be offered for completion as
> the executable.

Not quite.  On filesystems which don't maintain permissions or if noacl
is set for the underlying mount, stat() opens the file and the first two
bytes are read.  If the file starts with a magic cookie, one of them
"#!", the file gets the executable bits set.

Corinna

Red Hat