mingw-targeted cross-compiler question

Frédéric Bron frederic.bron@m4x.org
Wed Dec 22 14:36:00 GMT 2010

>>> I checked the Make file, it used this flag:
>>> gcc -mno-cygwin -g -Wl,--add-stdcall-alias -Wl,--export-all-symbols ...
>>
>> replace gcc by gcc-3
>> gcc 4 is now the default on cygwin but the cross compiler is not
>> supported for that version.
>> Frédéric
>
> What do you mean by not supported?  JonY maintains the cross compilers....

I meant that i686-w64-mingw32-gcc exists but not i686-w32-mingw32-gcc.
I thought that w64 meant "built on win64" and mingw32 "run binary on win32".
So it seems to me that with cygwin running on a 32 bit windows, it is
not possible to cross compile to win32. However with a 64 bit windows
you can produce win32 applications.
However, I just tried to use i686-w64-mingw32-g++ on my win32 machine
with a hello world program and it produces an binary that can be used
from windows on that win32 machine.
So my question to the list: what is the meaning of w64 in the name?

Frédéric