Slowdown after update on Win32 (XP Home)

Michael Ludwig milu71@gmx.de
Mon Dec 13 10:01:00 GMT 2010

Michael Ludwig schrieb am 30.10.2010 um 15:55 (+0200):
> Michael Ludwig schrieb am 07.10.2010 um 00:27 (+0200):
> > SZABÓ Gergely schrieb am 06.10.2010 um 23:30 (+0200):
> > >
> > > please see this thread (test scripts included):
> > > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-09/msg00871.html
> >
> > Thanks, Gabor - I saw your thread, which reinforces my belief that it
> > is a Cygwin issue.
>
> I don't think any more the slow process creation (fork) I'm seeing is a
> Cygwin problem. A Makefile for ActiveState Perl also takes an eternity
> to run. The delay appears to be caused by time-consuming process
> creation.
>
> > > I can only confirm this. Process creation is much slower with 1.7.7
> > > than it was with 1.5.25. The "fork" script runs 300% slower on my XP
> > > box.
> >
> > Another possibility would be a recent Microsoft update.
> >
> > Am I hallucinating when I think that 100% true Windows utilities like
> > IPCONFIG, ROUTE and NET are also slower in launching?
>
> These Windows utilities also take time to launch. All processes, once
> running, do *not* appear slow; they just take time to get started.
>
> What can I do at the Windows or Cygwin level to find the cause of this
> slowdown?

Using Sysinternals procmon.exe I found out that the cause for the
slowdown was a virus hooking into the CreateProcess/AppCertDlls
mechanism, which, of course, I didn't know about.

  What could cause a process creation slowdown on Win32
  and how can I determine it?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4354445/

  AppCertDlls: Process creation slowdown on Win32 caused by virus

--
Michael Ludwig