associating device names with cygdrive directories

Charles D. Russell worwor@bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 25 21:09:00 GMT 2010

  Maybe it won't always work, but with debian "mount" I get the
following line of output, which tells me what I want to know (and more):

/dev/sda1 on /live/image type vfat
(rw,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,allow_utime=177777,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8)

I infer from the replies that in Cygwin there is no easier way to find
my way around in /dev than the way I was doing it, though I realize
"strings" is a better choice than "od".  With dd
if=/dev/sda|strings|less I discovered that /dev/sda is actually my hard
drive.