Network drives & ssh access

Tue Aug 24 20:57:00 GMT 2010

On 8/24/2010 4:35 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:19 PM -0400 "Larry Hall (Cygwin)"
> <> wrote:
   ^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>  We don't encourage feeding
spammers.

>> A missing password is likely your problem, since that's at the heart of
>> your original problem really. But I actually wasn't thinking of this
>> option
>> as the solution to your problem when I pointed you at the FAQ. Running
>> a service as the user you'll log in as is really just a workaround.
>> I was thinking more of:
>>
>> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd3>
>
> Using the passwd -R bit did not change the behavior. I still am unable to
> access the network share when logging in via SSH, but it works just fine when
> starting cygwin locally.
>
> I will note that the network share (CIFS) uses a different username/password
> than my local user/password on the windows box (That, unfortunately, is not
> under my control).
>
> However, I set up the share using net use \\IP\share /savecreds, and that
> does mount the drive to Windows at least every time without prompting, and
> Cygwin locally is able to use it. It is only an issue with the SSH
> connection.

Well, that's a completely different thing then.  You need Windows to
authenticate that share as the other user then.  I think you're stuck
with "net use" option of the FAQ.  You can either invoke it each time
you log in via ssh, put it in your favorite rc file, or have a separate
script to do it (which you'd invoke each time).

Holliston, MA 01746