Network drives & ssh access

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah@zimbra.com
Tue Aug 24 20:57:00 GMT 2010

--On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:49 PM -0400 "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" wrote:

>> However, I set up the share using net use \\IP\share /savecreds, and that
>> does mount the drive to Windows at least every time without prompting,
>> and Cygwin locally is able to use it. It is only an issue with the SSH
>> connection.
>
> Well, that's a completely different thing then.  You need Windows to
> authenticate that share as the other user then.  I think you're stuck
> with "net use" option of the FAQ.  You can either invoke it each time
> you log in via ssh, put it in your favorite rc file, or have a separate
> script to do it (which you'd invoke each time).

I've yet to get "net use" to work for me via cygwin.

net use Z: \\W.X.Y.Z\Share <password>

tries to prompt me with a question:

Z: has a remembered connection to \\W.X.Y.Z\Share.  Do you want to
overwrite the remembered connection? (Y/N) [Y]:
No valid response was provided

I.e., it never gives me the opportunity to answer the question.

If I try changing the drive letter, I get error 67, the network name cannot
be found.

Note that "net use" by itself continues to show the "Unavailable" status
for the Z: drive with that share.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount