Wrong/ inconsistent responses from diff

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Mon Aug 23 19:17:00 GMT 2010

 > Nothing to do with cygwin1.dll 1.5 to 1.6?

 > Reverted to [prev] diffutils v.2.8.7-2 and
 > this strange contradiction went away ...

Not quite. Still with cygwin v.1.6 but having reverted to diffutils
v.2.8.7-2 I'm still getting weird responses (though many fewer). The two
directories explored below have identical contents, not the 3
differences identified:

~> diff -rq /home /l/home
Files /home/user/sav/bookmarks.html and /l/home/user/sav/bookmarks.html
differ
Files /home/user/sav/userTheme.Theme and
/l/home/user/sav/userTheme.Theme differ
Files /home/user/tex/short-math-guide.pdf and
/l/home/user/tex/short-math-guide.pdf differ
~>
~> diff -rq /m/home /l/home
~>

If this strange behaviour is not due to recent upgrades of diffutils,
then the only other relevant change is possibly to cygwin1.dll.

I have not gone through airport security with my machine, X-rayed it or
dropped it in a magnetic field resonator, though I agree this behaviour
is suggestive of any or all of these!

Fergus