[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.7.6-1

Angelo Graziosi angelo.graziosi@alice.it
Sat Aug 21 01:07:00 GMT 2010

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> - Improve performance of stat and a few other functions.  ls(1) should
>   be up to 30% faster

I have a directory (500MB, 30 files) which contains mainly 'exe' (setups
for TB, FF, OO etc.). If I try 'ls -l' in this directory, the first time
it take about 30 seconds to list the files. After the first time, the
listing is almost without delay. The same happens also with 'ls -l
/usr/bin'.

When there is the 'hang' (30 secs.), Task Manager shows that AVG9 takes
about 50% of CPU: this occurs *only* with 1.7.6 but _not_ with 1.7.5,
with which 'ls -l' is almost immediate, regardless of the number and
type of files.

Obviously I have tested this, each time, with a 'fresh machine', to
avoid 'cache' effects.

The system is WinXP SP3, AMD Athlon 64X2DC 2.03GHz, 1.75GB RAM.

Ciao,
Angelo.