mknod bug? major minor's are whacky

Wed Aug 18 10:11:00 GMT 2010

On Aug 17 17:51, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 08/17/2010 05:46 PM, Bob Goldberg wrote:
> > cygwin 1.7.6
> >
> > attempting to:
> > $ mknod null c 1 3
> >
> > what I get is:
> > crw-rw-rw- 1 user mkgroup-l-d 46200, 14467 2010-08-17 18:44 null
> >
> > WHERE did those crazy major/minor's come from!?!?

They come from Cygwin.  They are an accidental reflection of the
volume id, which is used in stat::st_rdev for files by default.
Cygwin only set st_dev to the device number so far.  I fixed that
in CVS so that st_rdev and st_dev both contain the device number
now for device files.

Thanks for the report,
Corinna

Red Hat