Moses with Cygwin on Windows 7

cbsa01@bangor.ac.uk cbsa01@bangor.ac.uk
Sat Aug 7 21:23:00 GMT 2010

Dear Eliot,

many thanks for your reply.  On why we need cygwin: the language model
we use is IRSTLM. The native windows build of Moses does not currently
use IRSTLM LMs.

I have been reading up a bit about debasing DLLs, and I gather from
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/DLL/RebaseDll.aspx that the purpose is
to avoid either two or more DLLs using the same preferred base
addresses, or the overheads of relocation.  However, on
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/bac7e300-f3df-4087-9c4b-847880d625ad, it is suggested that from Vista onwards, it is better to leave this to the operating systems's ASLR (Address space layout randomization) in order to help defeat a ?return-to-libc? attack. Do you agree with this? If it is still necessary to do a rebase, what does your script do that rebaseall
doesn't?

Re UAC prompts: this does look annoying but corporate security
regulations may prevent us from turning it off completely.  Is there
some way to turn it off for individual programs without using
third-party software?

Thank you,
Llio Humphreys