Is there a difference between "bash --login" and "bash --login -i"

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Mon Aug 2 20:12:00 GMT 2010

On 08/02/2010 02:09 PM, JOHNER Jean 066030 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The default Cygwin.bat uses "bash --login -I" while the default  rxvt-native shortcut uses "bash --login".

-i (I assume you meant little i here) forces an interactive shell, even
if the shell's default actions would otherwise select non-interactive.
But rxvt-native and cygwin.bat are typically called in environments
where stdin and stderr are terminals, at which point the default action
is interactive even without -i.

> If not, why keep -i in Cygwin.bat?

To make it clear at a glance that the shell will be interactive, without
making you go read 'man bash' to find out what other conditions cause an
interactive shell and whether cygwin.bat meets those other conditions.