Cygwin portable bash

J. David Boyd david.boyd@catalinamarketing.com
Thu Sep 24 12:55:00 GMT 2009

Andy Holt <andyj@comcast.net> writes:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I installed cygwin on my laptop (domain andy-laptop), and it works
> great from here. I installed in a special folder ("My Dropbox") which
> uses the free dropbox service online to synchronize the folder accross
> multiple machines (my other machine is andy-desktop). On the desktop
> machine (also username Andy), I can run cmd and CD to the cygwin
> directory, I can go into the /bin directory and run most of the
> programs just fine for some simple stuff, but it won't load bash
> correctly.
>
> When I installed cygwin on the laptop, I chose to install only for the
> single user (not the whole machine) and tried to make it avoid any
> registry tampering.
>
> So basically I think I need to figure out how to run bash as the andy
> from andy-laptop on andy-desktop... Or something? I can't figure this
> out and most of the stuff I've read online isn't helping and has to do
> with bash scripting instead of running bash as a user on a different
> domain or something. I'm just kind of confused where to go.
>
> I appreciate any help you can offer, thanks a bunch,
> -Andy

Have you checked the simple things first?  Did all the cygwin files get
copied over?  Check file sizes on the directories, and see if you really
have everything.

You might try installing cygwin onto your laptop and desktop first, then
synchronizing them, or maybe only synchronizing your home directory, and
manually keeping the rest updated.

My 2 cents...

I have cygwin running on, oh, about 6 machines, and all I really keep
synchronized is my home directory.  That way I can run emacs gnus
anywhere, or check emacs erc, or whatever, and be happy.

Dave