Libtool: Generated manifests need execute permission

Cesar Strauss cestrauss@gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 02:11:00 GMT 2009

To avoid UAC issues, the Cygwin build of Libtool has a local patch to
create manifest files for problematic file names. However, the patch
does not set the execute permission on these manifest files, resulting
in a failure to run the wrapper executable. Also, the wrapper seems to
be ultimately installed in place of the real program.

To see the problem, please try:

$ echo 'int main() {puts("hello\n"); return 0;}' > install-me.c

$ gcc -c install-me.c

$ libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -o install-me.exe install-me.o
libtool: link: gcc -o .libs/install-me.exe install-me.o
/usr/bin/libtool: line 9217: ./install-me.exe: Permission denied

$ ./install-me.exe
-bash: ./install-me.exe: Permission denied

Setting the execute bit allows it to work:

$ chmod +x install-me.exe.manifest .libs/install-me.exe.manifest

$ libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -o install-me.exe install-me.o
libtool: link: gcc -o .libs/install-me.exe install-me.o

$ ./install-me.exe
hello

At least one package, recently released, seems affected by this issue:
desktop-file-utils-0.15-2

$ update-desktop-database.exe --help; echo $?
127

Regards,
Cesar