locale issue? cygwin 1.7, aspell 0.60, reproducible crash

Josh Berdine jjb@microsoft.com
Thu Sep 10 22:46:00 GMT 2009

"Thrall, Bryan" wrote in message
> Josh Berdine wrote on Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:48 PM:
>> I'm running cygwin 1.7 on windows 7 and seeing aspell crash every time
> I try
>> to run it.  The message I get from the shell is:
>>
>> $ aspell check foo.txt
>> .cset" could not be opened for reading or does not
> exist.lib/aspell-0.60/
>> Aborted (core dumped)
>>
>> while from within emacs:
>>
>> Starting new Ispell process [default] ...
>> ispell-init-process:      50 [sig] aspell 4332 open_stackdumpfile:
> Dumping
>> stack trace to aspell.exe.stackdump
>> Unhandled Error: The encoding "
>> " is not known. This could also mean that the file
> "/usr/lib/aspell-0.60/
>> .cset" could not be opened for reading or does not exist.
>>
>> (the line breaks appear as ^M control characters in emacs).
>>
>> Given the message, I was suspicious that this is a locale issue, and
> set the
>> (previously unset) environment variables LANG, LC_CTYPE, and LC_ALL to
>> en_US.UTF-8 (or en_US.ISO-8859-1) but that didn't make a noticeable
>> difference.
>>
>> FWIW, just executing 'aspell --help' works as expected.
>>
>> Does this ring any bells?
>
> Looks like foo.txt has Windows line endings; try running 'd2u foo.txt'
> and then aspell again.

Thanks, but after changing to unix line endings I see the same behavior.
Same for checking the empty file.

Also, /usr/lib/aspell-0.60/ is actually populated with what seem to be the
correct files, and I have reinstalled the aspell package.

Cheers,  Josh