Norton Antivirus 2010 false detects cygpath.exe, mkpasswd.exe, mkgroup.exe

Robert Pendell shinji@elite-systems.org
Mon Sep 7 05:41:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Robert Pendell wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> 2009/9/4 Robert Pendell:
>>> During basic installation cygpath, mkpasswd, and mkgroup were all
>>> detected by SONAR (part of NAV 2010) that it the files emitted
>>> suspicious activiry and would be removed.  The files have not been
>>> removed (yet) but I will be alerting Norton to this.  This does block
>>> the program though and prevents their use to complete the install.
>>> Thought to let you guys know about it.  This may also affect NAV 2009
>>> or similiar applications (Norton Internet Security, Norton 360).
>>
>> "If I had to choose between Norton and a virus, I'd take the virus."
>> Someone O. Other
>>
> So true.  I have ran sanity scans on totalvirus dot com and posted the
> results on the norton forum.  I also updated to their most recent
> version and still got it.  In addition I got a red flag on a different
> product which I know is also safe so I have notified them about that.
> In the meantime I have switched to an alternative product which I have
> used in the past.
>
> Robert Pendell
> shinji@elite-systems.org
>
> "A perfect world is one of chaos."
>
> Thawte Web of Trust Notary
> CAcert Assurer

Looks like the issue is cleared up.  Newest release no longer flags
any cygwin applications.  Yay!

BTW, Apologies to Andy Kappe for forgetting to remove his email
address from my prior response.  I took care of it and also
reformatted this message appropriately.