1.7: cygdrive files readonly by default

Wed Sep 2 21:41:00 GMT 2009

On 09/02/2009 05:30 PM, Vince Indriolo wrote:
> Is there a setting or issue that would result in all externally
> generated files in an NTFS filesystem to have 000 permissions?  New
> files created in the shell appear to have the correct mask.  However,
> I need to chmod every external file I want to modify.

If the SIDs for the files don't match any of the current user on the
current system, then the POSIX permissions will be set to 000.  So I
believe the question is, what does it mean to "externally" generate the
files?

> Also, is it intended for my user account to have its primary group be
> 'None'?

Yes.  This seems to be a favorite group of Windows. ;-)

> I am using cygwin 1.7 on Windows 7 Ultimate.  Should I be running in
> compatibility mode?  Should I install as administrator?

I believe I installed with "Run as Administrator" on my W7 Ultamite home
install, which has "None" as my primary group and where I don't see the
problem you do.  On the work machine, it's W7 Enterprise, though I don't
think that's significant.

Holliston, MA 01746