Parallel downloading of Cygwin packages

Chris Cormie cjcormie@gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 04:36:00 GMT 2009

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:28:34PM +1100, Chris Cormie wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> I'd like the installer to use a more intuitive UI, be more capable of
>>> running from the command line, and be able to handle RPMs.
>> http://code.google.com/p/cyg-apt/
>> (Command line installer project.)
>>
>> Doesn't handle RPMs, only Cygwin packages. Does have a apt-get style
>> interface. I'm thinking RPM support is a bit beside the point?
>
> Nope.  A real package manager would be very nice.

Ah, so you aren't a user expecting other distros RPMs to "just work"
with Cygwin, there are specific package management functions in a
RPM-like system you want? Or do you think Cygwin would benefit from
using a standard package format for ported packages over the custom
format we currently use?

>> A binary RPM from a different distro won't work, packages usually need
>> porting to
>>  Cygwin -- that's all part of the Cygwin package system.
>>
>> If you only need to install specific packages, setup.exe has you covered:
>> $./setup-1.7.exe -q -P joe
>
> I'm very well aware of setup's capabilities.  I am one of the authors
> after all.

Hi, nice to meet you. I was mentioning setup's CLI because I just
mentioned cyg-apt and didn't want to give the maillist the impression
setup had no CLI.

Cheers,
Chris.