How to deny directory-access for one dedicated user

Paul McFerrin pmcferrin@columbus.rr.com
Sat Oct 17 18:14:00 GMT 2009

I agree with Dave with trying to deny access to a particular user under
cygwin.  The support is not there.  I will touch on an actual feature
that provides this capability.
Under Amdahl UTS Unix, e.g. SVR3 like, there was feature that relied on
the proper implementation of the chroot(2) system call.  You can give
the restricted user his own login space and make available certain other
filesystems mounted for the restricted to give him/her what they
actually  allowed to have access to, and no more.  Login was modified to
look for a "*" in the password field to signify a sub-login with the
passwd home directory as the argument to execute the chroot(2) system
call and thereby execute login again under the new chroot.
In order for this to be effective, one must execute caution in setting
up this painful and elaborate work in achieving the desired environment
for the restricted user.  Without a real chroot(2) syscall, it really
can't be done.

Cygwin as it stands today can't provide a true restricted environment if
it provides general access to hard (C:/pathnames/) drives.  Unless the
PC itself is restrictive (limited networking).

The above is my personal opinion on this subject and does not reflect
management views.