fc-cache: failed to write cache

Sat Oct 10 04:39:00 GMT 2009

On 10/10/2009 12:26 AM, Steven Woody wrote:
> After did some explore on my system, I found a very strange thing:
> the permissions on directory /etc/postinstall and all scripts
> contained in it are no correctly.  Below is a piece of it:

That's not so important.  These scripts are invoked directly by the shell
and Cygwin knows they are shell scripts by looking at the #! line.  So
that's OK.

> I compared to another normally run computer, the scripts in the
> directory should all be rwxr-xr-x for the file owner.
>
> then I tried to rename fontconfig.conf.done to fontconffig.conf and
> change permission for it, but I *can not*, the 'chmod' command takes
> no effect on the file.

I see.  And we're supposed to know what this means by... what?  Perhaps
now would be a good time to review the problem reporting guidelines found
here: <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

> What's wrong with my installation?  I was using offline installation,
> and should be no corruption.

I don't know why an "offline" installation would be more or less
susceptible to "corruption".

Holliston, MA 01746