Problem [1.7]: Inconsistent and wrong results from e.g. ls and md5sum

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Sat Nov 28 02:51:00 GMT 2009

Corinna wrote:
 >> IT'S ALL MY FAULT.
 >> I dislike FAT32 a lot, so I usually never test on it.

 > I just uploaded a new Cygwin 1.7 test release, 1.7.0-67.

And it has cleared up the glitch in the context I described.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I hate NTFS as much as you dislike FAT32, I'm sure. Possibly more. For
all its disadvantages (dangers? not in my world) I'll stick with FAT32
and its manageable permissions and test things on [1.7] as best I can
for as long as I can and as long as [1.7] recognises FAT32 as a viable
platform to be supported.

Which by implication of your transition 1.7.0-66 -> 67, it does? Which
therefore in turn raises this:

FAT32 + [1.7] + XWin stopped being a viable combination after 1.7.60 for
the reasons you describe at
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-11/msg00081.html (incidentally I
find the -nolock switch has no useful effect).

So a FAT32 user is stuck with
EITHER
reverting to 1.7.0-60 if using XWin
OR
using 1.7.0-curr but without XWin.

Is there any likelihood that Cygwin chiefs would reconsider the decision
leading to this restriction so that the up-to-date combination
FAT32 + [1.7.0-curr] + Xwin
remained a possibility?

Thank you for all your help and for your rapid response, very much
appreciated.

Fergus