Use of Dual Core causes random failures building OpenJDK

mike marchywka marchywka@gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 19:16:00 GMT 2009

On 11/20/09, Christopher Faylor
<cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 01:19:57PM -0500, mike marchywka wrote:

>>> "it" is primarily _addenv, which is used by setenv and putenv.

>>> Same for setenv and unsetenv, which don't need to be thread-safe per
>>> POSIX.  glibc's setenv is thread-safe, though.

>>> And given POSIX, if so, it would be an application bug if the application
>>> doesn't care by itself to use setenv/getenv in a thread-safe manner.
>>
>>Why does the OS let this happen?  I thought windoze should avoid
>>garbage.
>
> Er, I think you're a little confused about what we're talking about.  The
> OS doesn't enforce thread safety.  There's really no way that it can.

We are talking about windoze env variables right? I did ask previously
I thought.
The OS is the only place you can when the threads are in different
processes unknown to each other. Or, can two different processes share
the
same thread? I guess my point is that there is nothing cygwin can do if
windoze doesn't do it. But, that was why I asked what the OP was actually
complaining about. In may case, IIRC, I got garbage in the windoze variables
rather than just some from process A and some from process B.