Problem [1.7]: gzip missing in brand new install

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Sat Nov 14 15:37:00 GMT 2009

1    Thank you for trying the Thunderbird attachment options. I use
PortableApps portable version. Will take a closer look at Options.
2    Since observing the missing gzip (sed also missing) I installed
[1.7] from the ground up _yet_again_, this time remembering to turn off
McAfee, and the  result appears robust. Annoyingly I had also sat
through* a brand new installation of [1.5] which has no obvious defects
but who knows? Better do that again with McAfee off. * Not literally of
course. I re-decorated a room and built a boat.
3    So Norton lets nasties through; McAfee cripples normal practice;
what else is there? PortableApps also do Clamav, which I guess I could
try, though on the occasions that I have done so in the past it picks up
a virus (trojan) in its own provision, presumably some sort of test
procedure, but disconcerting. Given the ease with which these can be
picked up when not wanted, does anybody know of a site where a
deliberate virus, trojan, worm, spy, ...  may be downloaded as a test of
On-Access scanning?
Fergus