Problem with rsync 3.0.6-1 [and 3.0.5] under 1.7.0-62 and 63 [and 64]

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Thu Nov 12 22:46:00 GMT 2009

I went ahead and wrote a little program that narrows
down the rsync problem to a dup2 call. The program:
creates two pipes (for talking to a child process),
forks the child, and the child tries to dup2 the
pipe fds to its stdin and stdout. If it wins (which
it doesn't), it will then run sleep for 5 seconds
and quit. The parent closes some fds it doesn't need
and waits for the child, then quits. I attach the
program in question, and strace output.

Cheers -- Eliot Moss