Problem with rsync 3.0.6-1 under 1.7.0-62 and 63

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sat Nov 7 18:56:00 GMT 2009

Steven Monai wrote:
> Eliot Moss wrote:
>> I am getting this output when trying to rsync
>> to any of several systems. I have RSYNC_RSH set
>> to use ssh, and the ssh commands work just fine.
>> This smells like some kind of non-matching library
>> issue to me ...
>>
>> rsync: Failed to dup/close: Bad file descriptor (9)
>> rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at
>> /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.6-1/src/rsync-3.0.6/pipe.c(72)
>> [sender=3.0.6]
>> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]:
>> Connection reset by peer (104)
>> rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at
>> /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.6-1/src/rsync-3.0.6/io.c(1525)
>> [sender=3.0.6]
>
> I am curious to know: What is the specific command-line you're using to
> invoke rsync when it produces the above output?
>
> Yours may not be a Cygwin-specific problem, as I routinely use rsync
> over ssh on 1.7.0-63, and I have never seen that. The rsync mailing list
> is another resource you could try. The 'rsync FAQ' and 'rsync current
> issues' pages (google them) may also be of help.

Thanks for the quick response. The command line is:

rsync -avzuP UK-2009-11-richards-gist roc.cs.umass.edu:talks/

... but I get essentially the same doing other things and going
other places. It appears I cannot get through at all. (I'll have
to try another time if it's a port blocking issue from the particular
place I am.)

I could not find this in the rsync FAQs, etc.

Regards -- Eliot