1.7] Can you have multipe cygdrive path prefixes active at once

Fri Nov 6 23:17:00 GMT 2009

On 11/06/2009 05:35 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> Thrall, Bryan wrote:
>> Jeremy Bopp wrote on Friday, November 06, 2009 3:31 PM:
>>> Well, it's a bit of a hack, but you could try something like the
>> following:
>>> $ dirname $(cygpath -u C:/)
>>>
>>> This assumes that there is always a C: drive and converts the path to
>>> the root of that drive into a POSIX path which will include the
>> cygdrive
>>> prefix.  Then dirname is used to effectively chop off the drive letter
>>> leaving you with the cygdrive prefix.
>>
>> Actually:
>>
>> $ ls /cygdrive
>> c  e  f  h  j  p  t  z
>> $ cygpath -u x:/
>> /cygdrive/x
>>
>> Seems like you aren't assuming the drive exists :)
>
> That's pretty sweet, but that feature seems to be fairly fortuitous
> rather than by design.  Maybe someone could speak on this point with
> more authority.

If you need to know what the cygdrive prefix is, you're much better off
asking 'mount' directly.  I know it's a little more parsing but getting it
directly rather than trying back doors is far more reliable.

Holliston, MA 01746