1.7] BUG - GREP slows to a crawl with large number of matches on a single file

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Nov 6 16:39:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov  6 16:00, Thomas Wolff wrote:

>> I extended your test program to demonstrate the inefficiency of the
>> standard mbrtowc function. [...]
I later had to correct:
Corinna wrote:
> That's sort of an unfair test.  Your utftouni function doesn't care for
> mbstate, error, and surrogate pair handling.

This is a question of use cases:
* mbstate is needed e.g. if you feed results of read() which possibly
come in arbitrary chunks directly into mbtowc(); it's not needed if you
only transform complete lines of text at once. The stdlib function is a
little bit too generic (and thus complicated, too) for many applications.
* error handling is there, in my function; it's simplified, incorrect
sequences are all mapped to 0 for the test case but they could as well
return an error indication without performance impact.
* surrogate pair handling is only needed if you pass the string from/to
the Windows API. It's not needed for POSIX applications (provided
wchar_t would be sufficiently wide). So if wchar_t can be extended in
the newlib API, it might be useful to have two implementations; one for
applications (w/o surrogates), one for cygwin itself.

> Having said that, I just experimented further with mbrtowc, and I was
> able to speed up mbrtowc and wcrtomb calls on Cygwin by a factor of
> almost 50 per cent, just by reducing the function call depth in newlib,
> which is the result of reentrancy and isolation efforts.

Great! That comes close to my corrected results  :-[

> Talking about your implementation, if you could come up with a faster
> implementation of newlib's __utf8_wctomb/__utf8_mbtowc, it would
> certainly be another welcome performance boost.

A quick look at those function doesn't reveal much potential, except for
tiny optimizations like
-  if (ch >= 0xe0 && ch <= 0xef) /* three-byte sequence */
+  if (ch & 0xf0 == 0xe0) /* three-byte sequence */
But even that, given the way the compiler optimizes expressions, is
probably not an improvement.

Also, I remember some recent trouble was fixed by your tweaking of wide
character functions, so this is better not touched again.

My main point was that, depending on the use case, some applications
would be better off using less generic, optimized functions.
grep and sed would certainly be well advised to do that.

Thomas