rsync appends .exe extension

Peter vmail@mycircuit.org
Thu Nov 5 11:44:00 GMT 2009

Dear Corinna
Thanks for you kind support.

> So you're running rsync from the Linux source side.  Hmm, that's a problem
> for debugging.  Can you turn this around and run rsync from the Cygwin
> target side?  Does the same problem occur?  I expect it will.

Its even simpler, I can run it locally on the cygwin install to
reproduce the error:

$ cd /
$ mkdir copywin
$ cd copywin
$ rsync -av ../c .   # this is my windows install
$ find . -name "*.*.exe"
./winnt/system32/mode.com.exe
$ find . -name "*.*.exe" -print0 | xargs -0 file
PE32 executable for MS Windows (native) Intel 80386 32-bit
all "renames" are of this type, but so are others that have not been
"renamed"

like :
./winnt/system32/wupdmgr.exe
which is of the same file type as the wrongly renamed

This problem does not happen, if I use the cp(1) command instead of rsync

Can you reproduce this ( its a windows professional 2000 with all
service packs applied here ) ?
If not, please let me know if not, I will provide trace and some binaries.

>> This works, except that for some binaries ( I could not determine
>> any pattern or rule )  ending with .exe .src or .sys  , cygwin  adds
>> .exe extensions ( yielding files  like .sys.exe ).
>>

> It should definitely not happen with files ending in .exe.  A couple
> of questions:

Sorry, I was inaccurate, it does not happen on .exe, only on .com  ,
.sys  and .src

Peter