[ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-63

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Nov 4 14:34:00 GMT 2009

> - Add a bigger patch which allows by default to run multiple Cygwin
>   installations in parallel without interferring and without interaction
>   between processes running within these installations.  This is done by
>   computing a key value from the installation path of the Cygwin DLL
>   which is used when creating shared objects used for interprocess
>   communication and synchronization.  This means, you can have multiple
>   concurrent Cygwin 1.7 installations in parallel running alongside
>   without knowing of each other.  However, this also implies that you
>   should not try to have one process in installation A interacting with
>   any process running in installation B.  The results might not be what
>   you expect.  Keep different Cygwin installations separate.  This
>   change comes along with a change to the cygcheck tool, see
>   http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#cygcheck,
>   options --enable-unique-object-names, --disable-unique-object-names,
>   and --show-unique-object-names.
>
> - For better debugging of multiple Cygwin installations, every Cygwin
>   DLL now generates a registry entry with its installation path and the
>   key value computed from this path.
>   This change is accompanied by another change in cygcheck, see
>   http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#cygcheck,
>   and its new option --delete-orphaned-installation-keys.

I experimented a little with the new features and found a couple of
glitches.  My normal cygwin installation is in D:\cygwin-1.7.  I updated
it to 1.7.0-63 and then installed a second cygwin installation in
C:\cygwin-1.7 just to see if I really could run two cygwin-1.7's at
once.  It seemed to work fine.

I then deleted the directory C:\cygwin-1.7 and ran 'cygcheck
--delete-orphaned-installation-keys', followed by 'cygcheck -svr' to
make sure my original cygwin (in D:\cygwin-1.7) was still OK.  I'm
attaching some excerpts from the cygcheck output.  The most surprising
thing (to me) is that cygcheck was still reporting the standard mounts

C:\cygwin-1.7      /          system  binary,auto
C:\cygwin-1.7\bin  /usr/bin   system  binary,auto
C:\cygwin-1.7\lib  /usr/lib   system  binary,auto

left over from the installation that was removed.  This probably
explains some of the other errors, like cygcheck not being able to find
'id' and 'cygrunsrv'.

I reinstalled cygwin 1.7.0-63 in D:\cygwin-1.7, and everything was back
to normal.  In retrospect, I probably should have tried rebooting first
to see if that fixed it.  Or maybe there was some other cleanup I should
have done after deleting C:\cygwin-1.7.

Ken