emacs -nw keypad, tpu-edt.el, and C-h

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun May 31 15:27:00 GMT 2009

On 5/31/2009 5:13 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> 2009/5/30 Matt Wozniski:
>> On Debian, at least, the console sends ^H for Ctrl+Backspace and ^?
>> for Backspace; that is a pretty common convention among terminal
>> emulators that I've used. I vote against the ^_ suggestion; I for one
>> would be genuinely surprised by that.
>
> Fair enough, but once you're over the surprise you might actually find
> it useful to tell Ctrl+Backspace from Ctrl+H. Also, having
> Ctrl+Backspace bring up the help in emacs is rather surprising too.

As I long-time emacs user, I have to say that I have never been tempted
to type Ctrl-Backspace in emacs.  But, as a result of this discussion, I
just tried it in three different settings and got three different
behaviors.  (The three settings were: emacs under X, emacs in a Cygwin
console with the latest snapshot installed, and emacs in mintty with the
"Backspace sends ^?" option.)  The third one was actually the most
surprising to me, because ^_ is the "undo" command in emacs.

In view of this chaos, I think cgf did the right thing in deciding to
leave Ctrl-Backspace alone.  If a linux standard ever emerges, I think
cygwin should follow it.  But, from what people have said, it sounds
like that hasn't happened yet.

Ken