Upgrade to cygwin 1.7 seemed to trash bash profile, path

Fri May 29 16:22:00 GMT 2009

Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> So, in the end, reinstalling didn't do much.  And I got a bunch of
> "Cannot open (null) for reading" (error not guaranteed to be
> accurate), usually when it was trying to install gzipped man pages or
> something.  (Times like these I wonder why I persist in downloading
> every cygwin package on the mirror when I use only a fraction of them.
>  Compulsive behaviour, I guess.)

Perhaps there is something interesting to be found in setup.log.full.

My impression is that you were installing from the Internet rather
than downloading and then installing.  Is that right?

> In any case, I was able to fix the problem by recreating /etc/profile
> from /etc/skel.  Why /etc/profile got trashed by the upgrade to 1.7, I
> don't know, but apparently it did.  So now I once again have PATH
> initialized properly and my bash prompt looks normal.

Was there an '/etc/profile' file in any form before you recreated it?

Holliston, MA 01746