Upgrade to cygwin 1.7 seemed to trash bash profile, path

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri May 29 15:52:00 GMT 2009

> I'm not really following this discussion closely but there should not,
> by default, be any entries for /usr/lib or /usr/bin in your /etc/fstab
> file.

I've actually come across one situation where things don't work right if
those lines are missing.  I often use 'ssh admin-user@localhost' to
simulate 'su'.  After deleting the entry for /usr/bin from /etc/fstab,
this produces the following:

-bash: /usr/bin/tr: No such file or directory
-bash: /usr/bin/sed: No such file or directory
$ ls /usr/bin
ls: cannot access /usr/bin: No such file or directory

The problem doesn't occur in the other direction.  In other words, if
I'm logged in as an administrator and then do 'ssh
non-admin-user@localhost', there's no problem.  And everything is fine
with the entry for /usr/bin restored to /etc/fstab.

Ken