emacs -nw keypad

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed May 27 17:01:00 GMT 2009

On 5/26/2009 9:11 PM, Tim Adye wrote:
> In Cygwin 1.5 xterm (TERM=xterm), with "emacs -q -nw" (or also with "-f
> tpu-edt") I get
>
> ESC [ > 1 ; 2 4 2 ; 0 c ESC O q ESC O r ESC O s ESC
> O t ESC O u ESC O v ESC O P l
>
> The initial "ESC [ > 1 ; 2 4 2 ; 0 c" is just the response from xterm, asked
> for its version number (242). The "ESC O q" to "ESC O v" are the keypad
> "123456", but somehow with numlock on (perhaps this is a feature of my
> Exceed X-server). The "ESC O P l" is the "F1 l" at the end.
>
> Despite the differences, it looks like neither of us is getting any
> interpretation of the keys.

As I understand the emacs documentation, the setting TERM=xterm should
cause emacs to load term/xterm.el.  In that file I find lines like

(define-key map "\eOq" [kp-1])
(define-key map "\eOr" [kp-2])

This looks like the place where emacs should learn to interpret the
keypad keys.  So is this library failing to load for some reason?  Is
there some initialization that emacs does (perhaps using the ncurses
library) that overrides the setting of TERM?  I mentioned ncurses
because that's something else that has been updated recently in the
cygwin distribution.

Ken

P.S.  I said in an earlier email that, after starting emacs, TERM has
the value "dumb".  This turns out to be irrelevant.  Emacs apparently
does this for the benefit of subprocesses that it might start.