emacs -nw keypad

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed May 27 03:59:00 GMT 2009

On 5/26/2009 9:11 PM, Tim Adye wrote:
> In Cygwin 1.5 xterm (TERM=xterm), with "emacs -q -nw" (or also with "-f
> tpu-edt") I get
>
> ESC [ > 1 ; 2 4 2 ; 0 c ESC O q ESC O r ESC O s ESC
> O t ESC O u ESC O v ESC O P l
>
> The initial "ESC [ > 1 ; 2 4 2 ; 0 c" is just the response from xterm, asked
> for its version number (242). The "ESC O q" to "ESC O v" are the keypad
> "123456", but somehow with numlock on (perhaps this is a feature of my
> Exceed X-server). The "ESC O P l" is the "F1 l" at the end.
>
> Despite the differences, it looks like neither of us is getting any
> interpretation of the keys.

But this doesn't seem to have anything to do with recent versions of
emacs.  I just reverted to cygwin's emacs-21.2-13 (in cygwin-1.5) and
repeated several of my tests (all except the one in rxvt), and the
results were identical to those I reported before.

I'll bet the problems you reported had nothing to do with updating
emacs.  Probably when you ran setup.exe to update emacs, other packages
were updated at the same time, and changes in these are somehow
responsible for the poor interaction between emacs and the terminal.

I think you should be able to tell what other packages were updated by
looking at /var/log/setup.log and/or /var/log/setup.log.full.  Could
terminfo be the culprit?

Chuck, can you help?

Ken