WMIC

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Wed May 13 18:22:00 GMT 2009

Dave Korn wrote:
> Bruno Galindro da Costa wrote:
>
>> Christian,
>>
>>    It Works perfectly for both! Can you explain why that commands
>> works and not only "wmic cpu list full"?

The wmic.exe file imports console functions like SetConsoleMode() and
SetConsoleScreenBufferSize() from kernel32.dll. I presume that wmic
performs some direct console I/O which conflicts with Cygwin's tty. This
can be prevented by redirecting the standard input. But then wmic
creates an empty file 'TempWmicBatchFile.bat' in current directory ...

>>> The following works for me in Cygwin console (notty, tty, and mintty) on
>>> XP:
>>>
>>> $ echo '' | wmic cpu list full
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> $ wmic cpu list full </dev/null
>>>

>   So, are some of you guys using a DOS console, and some using
> rxvt/xterm/whatever gui console?

There is no difference in this case. Wmic hangs in Windows console,
mintty, rxvt and xterm if run without redirection from a Cygwin shell.

--
Christian Franke